The cool and dense swath of jungle, officially called Mandala Wisata Wanara Wana, houses three holy temples. Hundreds of playful and interactive Macaque monkeys call the sacred forest home and roam freely around the tree canopy and temple complex. Walking around the winding, moss-covered brick paths of the Monkey Forest is a great way to escape the heat of the afternoon, but mind your belongings. Cuddle up with these amazing local monkeys at the Monkey Forest sanctuary. See Mamas and their newborns, up close and personal, take as many pictures as you like, even feed the monkeys bananas! Stroll through to find Pura Dalem Agung. Walk around. Enjoy the serene atmosphere. The forest comprises approximately a tenth of a square kilometer (approximately 27 acres) and contains at least 115 different species of trees. The Monkey Forest contains the Pura Dalem Agung Padang Tegal (a temple of the dead) as well as a “Holy Spring” bathing temple and another temple used for cremation ceremonies.
Tips and Advise
- Treat the monkeys with respect. Don’t feed them unless you’re accompanied with a guide to supervise you. And do realize that they’re creatures of a curious nature. So keep your possessions in check. If they “borrow” one of your items, just go to the nearest guide and ask for his help.
- There are many buses and parking is hard. So it’s better to come in the morning before 10 am.
- Be aware that these monkey are not shy at all and will happily climb all over your body, even onto your head and shoulders, and try and get into your bags, purses and pockets.They can be a little crazy and confronting and it could be an overwhelming or frightening experience for some little ones! Beware if you bring key, glass, mobile phone or anything. The monkey interest to check you out if you have full pocket.
- You see families hold one banana above their head and stand still and monkey will climb up you to get it. Don’t engage with the monkeys; let them use you as a statue and they will perch on your shoulders to eat their treasure. So make sure you are quick with the camera!
- Don’t try to pull away or touch the monkeys. The best way to get them to come up is to sit down, relax and let them come to you. If you freak out, or make sudden movements they can get aggressive, so be careful, sweet and gentle and all should be good!
- Wear insect repellent!
Behind the cuddling facade lies a cunning thief..